A Discovery Walking Holiday is a great way to explore our beautiful landscape. Guiding yourself each day from one location to the next at a pace that suits you and the flexibility to stop to admire the views or explore as you please. At the end of each day will be welcoming accommodation to relax and unwind and savour the days highlights.
We will arrange your accommodation and provide guidance on getting to and from your holiday, provide maps and guides for your chosen route and will transport your luggage each day from one accommodation provider to the next, allowing you to enjoy the route with only a small lightweight day pack.
We will provide you with information on getting to and from your holiday using public transport. To keep the environmental impact on our holidays to a minimum we recommend using public transport. If however you wish to bring your car, we can help advise on this.
We use comfortable hotels, country inns, guest-houses and farmhouse B&B's in selecting your accommodation and aim to provide these as close to the trail as possible. We work closely with all of our accommodation providers, each one being selected based on their quality of accommodation and the warm welcomes they provide. We will always request accommodation with private en-suite facilities, but in remoter locations this may not always be available.
All of our holidays are provided on a Bed & Breakfast basis, thus giving you the flexibility to choose your own options for lunch and evening meals. Your holiday pack will contain information on the options available along the route to stop for lunch and places to obtain an evening meal locally, along with places to obtain packed lunches. Accommodation providers may be able to offer evening meals and packed lunches by prior arrangement if this should be required.
We will arrange for your luggage to be transferred each day between each overnight accommodation. Your luggage will be waiting for you at the end of each day, allowing you to walk with a lightweight daypack. We transfer one bag per person with a maximum weight of 20 Kilo's.
Maps & Guides
We provide Ordnance survey Explorer maps (1:25000 scale)as standard for all of our walking holidays. In addition you will receive either an comprehensive guidebook to the selected route or detailed walking route notes.
Each booking with Discovery Walking Holidays will receive a holiday pack. The pack will contain the following information.
- Advice on getting to / from your holiday by public transport
- An itinerary giving information on each days walking distance and guide to required time to complete the section, details of the nights accommodation with details on how to find your booked accommodation and contact details, Details on obtaining packed lunches and places to eat along the route, Information on places to obtain an evening meal close to your accommodation.
- Ordnance Survey Explorer Maps (1:25000 scale) covering your route
- A guidebook (where available) or route notes describing the route.
- Details of facilities along the route such as banks, shops, post offices, telephones
- List of local Taxi numbers in case of bad weather or tired walkers
- A detailed equipment list
- Luggage Labels (1 per person)
- Emergency (out of hours) Helpline number (8am - 8pm 7 Days per week)